• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Valve guides and seals replacement

Funkmethod

CB750 Member
Reaction score
1980 Cb750c

So Im stil new to doing my own wrenching and have just learned about doing valve clearence checks of course after i replaced my cylinders, jugs, rings etc.. noob move. Most ports are all pretty out of whack mostly tight so my crank shaft is pretty hard to rotate. So ive done my research on how to measure and make sure i obtain the correct shims so i have correct clearance. But my question is if my most if them were tight would that damage my valve stems, guides, seals etc... underneath? Is replacing stems that should be done at all regularly? Or only if there's known internal damage. My bike did run (not great, had low compression, didn't like cold starts assuming that's my valve cleraence/shims) and did not show any signs of blue smoke as ive read that's a sign of damaged or worn seals and valve stems. So im just wandering from what ive stated above if im okay to leave the stems/guides/seals/ springs etc.. alone and just order new correct size shims, probably be okay? I just don't wanna put all this back together knowing i had to do more.

Back