• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Valve Cover Cap

Cavman11

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I recently had something happen to me that had never occurred before. I was out riding my 1973 CB750K . I stopped for lunch and my left leg of my jeans was soaked with oil. I looked and found the cap that allows you to adjust the valves on the outside cylinder was gone. I was a more than 100 miles from home so I checked the oil level. It was not low yet so I bought a qt of oil and started home. Stopped every so often and checked oil level. Made home okay. Bought a new cap and when putting it on I added a dab of thread locker. I also checked the other caps. Several were loose, so I added thread locker to all and tightened them. I bought this bike new in 73 and am the only one to work on it. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Thread locker really not a good idea being aluminum on aluminum...its easy to ruin the threads. Biggest reason is the orings are no longer new...the size of the oring actually helps to keep things in place. When the oring gets hard and compressed people just crank them down harder to stop oil leaks etc and either ruin the threads or break the caps from over tightening. If you get new orings of the correct size I am betting they wont back off anymore.

Back