• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Turn signals kill bike

Cbguy

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello out there, I have a 71 cb750 that has run seamlessly for years. I have been riding without issue for the last 2 months since the weather has gotten nice. I had just started my ride home and signaled my turn and the bike died instantly. I was able to start the bike right back up and ride. But as soon as I signaled again it died. I got home and put it on the center stand and tried to do it again but it didn't seem to work. I also have the high beams in when I ride. I did a no no this winter and left the battery hooked up but all I really noticed was some build up on the terminals.

My only guess is it might be my harness going bad, the battery measured 13-14 volts when idling. It is the same battery from the winter I topped off the water with distilled and it charged right up. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

As the fuse did not blow it may not be a short or excess draw in the signal system. My first suspicion is that a condition existed wherein the the additional ~50watts of signaling load dropped the voltage available at the coils below a threshold to produce good spark (~11VDC). To test for that, test voltage at the coils and compare to voltage at the battery. A healthy system will show about half a volt difference. A system with poor connections may have 1.5VDC of voltage drop. Add that to a weak battery or marginal charging and the system is on thin ice. So, if you're driving along at battery voltage of 12.8 on 50W hi-beam, hit the brake (25W) and hit the signal (46W) all of a sudden the coils might see less than 11VDC and you lose spark. Test it & let us know

Back