• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Tips on replacement points and condenser for Honda cb750

Steve 750

CB750 Member
Reaction score
This post is important for owners that are not getting the best performance for their cb750. And the ignition system is a make or break system that will shorten engine life and increased parts and labor. One thing for sure is the replacement points and condenser for these older classics are or very poor quality. And this is because most of them are not OEM replacement and are made as a aftermarket. What I did not long ago was to install a dyna electronic ignition system designed for the cb750. They are very reliable and don't need to adjusted, once set and it keeps timing where it needs to be at all RPMs with the help of the advance unit. The trouble with points over time they get burned on the contacts and this causes incorrect timing. You can have the contacts burned on cylinders 1 and 4 and the contacts on 2 and 3 spot on. That will cause a unstable running engine that will shorten engine life. With a electronic ignition there are no points to wear out and condensers to burn out. Just remember to adjust your timing chain prior upgrading to elec. ignition. This will allow your engine to perform like it was intended.

Thanks for the reply, there are others but the one most often from the road track racers are from DYNA because they are heard of all over the world with great reviews. Check out their website and you will find out more. I remember DYNA in 1977 when I had my 750k, could not afford one then. They are still a good buy if you like quality like me!
Steve Colville

Would I need to replace the charging system as well or just the ignition? And any tips on integrating a lithium battery and how it affects ignition? I saw the Dyna ignition for $150 but Revival Cycles sells a similar product along with the charging system and regulator / rectifier that has been "re-calibrated to work with both lead acid and lithium batteries". Is there any merit to this?

Back