• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Super noob over here!

pen

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 78 that doesn’t run. All the electric stuff up front has been pulled off and disconnected. There’s no cover for the battery box. So in the spirit of trying to see what’s wrong, I slapped in a new battery, plug in (where I hope to be) the fuel line to the carbs, and using that old gas, just try and start it and see where that goes. The starter runs and tries its hardest, but i doesn’t do anything. I check for spark, it’s got spark. I check the oil tank and behold it has no oil! Time for an oil change. Unplug the drain plugs, change the filter (which I think is currently it’s own problem; it’s missing a spring?), dump some 10-40 in the tank, and try and start it to get some oil moving. Bad news, oil didn’t move? I think I’m seriously out of my league here. In my mind, the oil should gravity feed into the pump because it’s way below it. Is there something I’m missing?

What do you mean exactly by the oil didnt move? The oil pump can get air locked. Pull the oil pan, remove the oil pump and submerge it in oil and turn over the pump to work the air out of the pump and prime the pump. reinstall and it should pump right away. Yes there is supposed to be a spring in the oil filter, as well as a thing washer.

Back