• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Stiff Throttle

215Guy

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1981 Cb750c. When I got it, I swapped out the stock bars for some straighter 1 inch risers. Ever since then the throttle has been a bit sticky and has never snapped back the way it should or the way I would like. I've played with different cable routings, replaced the throttle, put on brand new cables, and still nothing. It has tons of resistance, is difficult to pull and has to be pushed back. It doesnt seem to be an issue down at the carbs since if I take the throttle off the bars and move it around it feels much better, but only in places like directly in front of the bike. I'm assuming my next step is playing with the length of the cables, but since I'm not looking forward to that process, I figured I would come here first and look for suggestions. I know I'm not the only one who has swapped the stock bars for ones like mine, so I thought maybe some other people have had the same experience. Thanks for any help.

Try just the throttle tube on the bar and see if it is hard to rotate, if it is then you will need to do some sanding on the bar. Sometimes the chrome is too thick on the bar and the tube fits to tight. Also make sure the whole throttle assembly isn't on the bar too far and letting the hand grip rub on the end of the handlebar. Cable length will have nothing to do with a stiff throttle unless you have the cables bent to far or going around too sharp of angle.

I actually already ground down the handlebars a bit thinking the paint on them might have been causing it. If I hold the tube off the bar, but about where it sits when on the bar, it feels sticky.

Do you have the free play adjusted into the cables? There needs to be some free play, you should be able to turn the throttle a bit before it begins to open the carbs.

Back