• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Starting new cafe project

K2750tracy

K2750tracy
Reaction score
I'm finally going to start the new cafe' project. 74 frame 76 motor dresda 2" over swing arm 18'x 3.50 alluminum rear wheel, K hub laced with stainless steel spokes. I have a custom fiber glass tank with scalopped sides( very different) pulled a mold fron the rear of the tank to make a tail section so the tank and tail will match. IMG_0370 IMG_0370.jpgIMG_0369[1].jpg here is the front end a nd the swing arm i will be using.

Are you going to run struts or shocks in the back. If you are going to run struts I got a nifty set of twisted struts for you too look at. You gonna do any work to the motor?

Digger I'm runing shocks on the rear. The engine I have is an 836, not sure what cam is in it yet but will be going thru it before it goes in the frame.

Last edited:
IMG_0394[1].jpgIMG_0393[1].jpgIMG_0390[1].jpgIMG_0392[1].jpgIMG_0391[1].jpgIMG_0388[1].jpgHere is a couple shots of the rear wheel and the swing arm. This boxed swing arm seems to be a one off custom built piece. There are no tags or manufacture stampings any where, it seems very well made with some very nice welds and brass bushings. Digger this came off the frame that had the 1234cc engine in it.

I have a Sun 1.85x21 alluminum front wheel in nice shape, thinking about getting some stainless spokes and lacing the 750 hub to it for the front of this build. Any one know where to get spokes for a 21" front wheel?

So that swingarm came off a dohc frame? Cycle x lists a 21" rim so I would bet they have spokes or know of a place to get them.

The swing arm came off a Sohc frame the one that had the stroked engine you have. I saw Cycle X's 21 inch wheels but they dont list spokes as a procuct. I'll have to call Ken.

I'm picking up another 750 tomorrow that is suposed to have a bigbore 920 kit in it:smoke:(we'll see) price is right at $250. If its true it will go into the new cafe'. Hoping its true.:rock:

Took the top end off the new bike's engine last night. It has 65.5 mm bore, Weisco pistons and stock rods. Have not been able to identify the cam yet.

Checked out the cam a little better only stampings are on one end #363a and the valve spring retainers are stamped KW also the valves seem to be larger diameter stems than stock, but valve face seems stock. Head has a little port work done looks like the exhaust side is just polished. Carbs are running 150 mains and 45 pilots, needle clips in the lowest groove.

63a is a Web cam. kind of a middle of the road cam, hot street cam. KW would be Kibblewhite, they make springs, valves etc. Seems odd about the valve stem being bigger...never seen or heard of that on 750 stuff unless it has just a narrow part by the head making it look bigger. Measure the stems and I can tell you if they are stock or not. Post some pics! If you need any help with the motor build let me know.

Thanks Digger, I figure the valves, keepers and springs are Kibblewhites. Nice knowing the cam is a Web. looks like someone had built a nice street motor. Every thing looks to be in good condition and the bore mesusres out nice and round. I sent the cam, cylinders and head out to my machinist along with the pistons and rods to get checked over. I will do reassembly myself. Wondering what kind of head gasket i should use? Digger I know you like the MLS gaskets.

If it is all apart I highly recommend MLS gaskets. Have ZERO leaks since switching to MLS and a light spray of copper coat even though they say not to. You would have to have the cylinders and head surfaced to mls spec. Should have them machined anyway as they are almost always not 100% flat. If you are not going to have them machined then get a Cometic soft graphite head gasket. I get mine from Dynoman. Dont use the cheap 836 head gasket from Cycle X they will leak oil, they are too hard and dont conform to the surfaces. I use nothing but Cometic head gaskets anymore, they dont leak but they cost a bit more. Have had bad luck with other brands and a head gasket is no place to be cheap unless you like pulling cylinder heads. Remember must use heavy duty cylinder studs and use new timing tensioner rollers and cam chain. If you want a quiet motor need new primary chains too! Stock connecting rods? At a minimum I shot peen them and would highly suggest new bolts. Better yet Cycle X Super Rods! I know a person has to draw the line somewhere on these builds but I can suggest nice to have parts and must have parts. Let me know.

What brand pistons? Any idea? Might be hard to find new rings for them, may have to special order. The old 836 size pistons, different manufacturers use different size rings, yeah that makes it fun if they are vintage pistons.

Pistons are Weisco, rings are ordered along with cycle x studs, new cam chain and tensioner/rollers. Didnt think about primary chain, I will check it out. The machine shop is checking head and cylinder deck for flatness, will machine if nedded. Where do you get your MLS gaskets? Trying to keep cost down a little on this build, but don't want to cut corners i will regret. Are the stock rods strong enough for the 849 kit? I'm not racing this bike but i've been known to push my bikes hard:D, I like embarrising the Harleys and I've got a neighbor who thinks his Triumph Thruxton is the hottest bike around,(even though he cant touch my little YZF600R) Just looking for nice reliable "hot" street 750.

Can get MLS from Dynoman or Cycle X, they have couple thicknesses available...another reason I like them. But a good graphite gasket will work fine if everything is nice and flat and clean...maybe a light spray of copper coat. Stock primary chains are fine in this small of a motor, just new ones would dive you some reliability and quieter engine. Stock rods are fine in these small motors just dont go bigger cc's with the rods. I shot peen stock rods for extra insurance. Is the transmission stock or undercut, another nice upgrade that keeps it from popping out of gear when giving the Harleys fits.

Got into the lower end last eveing, The trans is undercut and the primary looks new. Have to find a shop to shot peen the rods. Talked to my machinist, he wants the MLS head gasket before he mills the head and deck. Going to take the crank to him to check balance and polish up the jornals. All this engine work is going to push the finish of this project into the winter. Waiting on parts, machine work and funds to pay for it all will take some time.

Back