• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

starter clutch center bolt

Hondaholic

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Good morning group. I seem to be having trouble with my starter clutch area. my starter was just spinning without engaging. When I removed the cover I found the center bolt was loose. I tightened the bolt and the starter worked fine, but soon spun loose again? is there a way to keep the center bolt tight, or is my starter clutch worn? any help?

Assuming it's a DOHC, the bolts sometimes were loctited in place by Honda. As well the 3 outer bolts can come loose too and more common. Loctite them too. Loctite only works with BONE DRY parts of course. The springs behind the 3 rollers tend to collapse too and will do it then as well.

I went looking for a SOHC before posting (???) and that should be your alt rotor bolt if the center one on a SOHC, more likely to have rotor damage there from that. You may not have fixed anything.

On that one the alt rotor comes off (puller used) and the 3 bolts screw into the back of it, the same 3 that can fault the DOHC style starter clutch. Same loctite ideas too.

The sohc had been know to have the rotor bolt come loose early on. They switch to a bolt with a molded in piece of plastic that acted as locktight. If the rotor has spun more then a time or too you may have damaged the taper on the crankshaft and in the rotor. You will need to pull the rotor off and inspect...it should be a smooth taper. If it is a little bit rough you can sometimes take a little sand paper and dress it up. Make sure the tapers are clean from any material and oil then reinstall the rotor and put locktight on the big rotor bolt and torque to spec.

Back