• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Stabilizer bar broke while riding

OutaControl

CB750 Member
Reaction score
As I was riding my 1980 CB750K on Sunday the bolt that holds the stabilizer to the rear hub decided to evaporate, or at least that's what I think happened. I was on the highway going about 60-70 mph and all of a sudden I felt something snap and the bike went all wonky. Luckily I was able to gain control and get off the road without biting pavement. While pulling over I noticed I had no back brakes. Upon inspection I found that the rear hub had separated from the stabilizer bar and spun about 200 degrees. In the process it had snapped off the brake linkage and bent the right side tension adjuster rending both unusable. Has anyone else experienced something like this before and do you have any advise? I am worried that the internals for the rear breaks may be damaged and won't be safe to use after I replace the brake linkage and tensioner. I can post pictures later tonight if anyone is interested.

This is my first bike, first riding season, and first post.

Thanks!

I take it that it has a drum rear brake, Something inside the drum locked up to cause that much damage. Remove the rear wheel and check brake shoe part components as per manual. Do not ride until all internals are verified, Be safe

Yes it has rear drum brakes. I'm not sure the brake locked up, the wheel spins freely and there were no marks on the road. I had plenty of time to look while waiting for the tow truck. I don't have a manual for the bike yet. Any idea where to find a digital/PDF copy online?

It would only have to hangup for a millisecond to do damage not even enough to transfer that energy to the tire at that speed but thats just My opinion You can get download info. on this site for manuals.

Never seen a bar break or go bad...have seen people loose the cotter pins that keep the nuts from backing off then the nut and bolt fall out letting the bar disconnect from the brake hub.

I think you are likely correct, dirtdigger, it looks like the bold just went missing. I was able to find the manuals here: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=44399.0 The site tommycarl linked to requires an account.

I'm definitely not going to ride until I get this fixed, as well as the charging issue that re-emerged around the same time. Any advice for charging systems? I replaced the regulator, stator, and rotor and it would charge until it warmed up. I cleaned and dielectric greased all the connectors and it charged perfectly for about 3 hours, now it doesn't charge at all again.

After walking away from it for a while I decided to take a look at the damage. On one of the brake shoes the brake medium separated from the metal. Other than that the lever spun a bit on the splined shaft that actuates the brakes. The lever and shaft should still be usable after readjusting, I'll probably redefine the splines a bit with a small file to ensure it has a strong fit.

That being said, I am looking for some new, cleaner, wheels. I found a guy selling the wheels off of a shaft driven CB900 with rear disc brakes. Is it possible to convert the rear wheel to chain driven and drum brake?

Thanks!

Back