• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Spark Plugs gone bad?

Edward Buck

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I don't know if anyone can help with this. I have rebuilt a CB750 K1 and it has new spark plugs NGK bought from a UK parts supplier.
The bike has run ok after the rebuild but only in the garage. Took it for a short test ride and it died on me very quickly. I suspected fuel starvation.
Did all the usual checks etc and spent a whole day trying to figure out what the issue was.
Finally as the spark wasn't great at the spark plugs, I fished out the old plugs that came with the bike. Tried them first against the cylinders and found a beautiful bright spark.
I fitted all four of the old plugs and the bike started first time and ran well????
I have rebuilt a few engines and never heard of a spark plug (4 of them) all going bad at the same time). When I had a closer look the spark seemed to be jumping not from the electrode to the bent bit (earth I suppose) on top but rather from the electrode to the side wall (threaded part) of the plug. It wasn't a great spark either.
Anyone ever had this happen??
Thanks

Back