• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Some kind of liquid gasket?

frogwash

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed when I split my cases that there were a few spots that had some type of liquid gasket on only some of the surfaces to seal the 2 case halves. About ready to seal this baby up! Is it a good idea to seal up the whole case when re-assembly? Or any of it for that matter? Seems like the only areas were inside the cases. Permatex, Elring Curil T liquid gasket or similar? Not sure if you could ever get them apart again!

Thanks....

The cases are sealed with Hondabond only! All exterior outer parting line surfaces need to be sealed...only takes thin layer, dont want a bunch of excess squishing out then possibly getting in the engine. Excess can also affect bearing clearing if it is excessive amounts. Honda from the factory applied a sealant to all of the flat surfaces on the halves...I am guessing to try to keep it all uniform and it kept oil from seeping out of bolt holes. I only apply on the external surfaces...not on the flats by the main bearings etc. I then put a bit of Hondabond on the underside of the bolt heads to keep them from weeping oil.

Yes thats what I use. How in the heck can a honda dealer be out of Hondabond? My dealer has a rack full of the stuff.

I ordered it online.... the dealer has yamabond, which I hear is the same thing. I would rather go with a product others have used here. I only want to put this engine back in once. I'm in no big hurry so a couple days ... no biggie. I did look at prematex product today but saw it is not guaranteed with exposure to gas. Not that I am going to use it that way... just thought maybe it was kind of an inferior product. Did you use the hodabond on the base gasket? I know you typically do not use it on head gaskets.... thanks !!

I use light amount copperkote spray on base and head gaskets, and the other paper gaskets for that matter....especially the aftermarket gaskets.

Back