• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

smaller rear shocks

Willishal

CB750 Member
Reaction score
have 74 cb 750, is it possible to put smaller rear shocks on to lower the bike. Without causing any problem in handling. I had a 86 bow 50 that had smaller rear shocks, 2 inch and pushed front forks up about 1/2inch. Wondering if anyone has done that with750"s...

Any altering of shock height in the back will change your front end geometry which will affect handling. Back in the day they used to make drop brackets for the 750 shocks to lower them but you are still altering the geometry of the bike. Safest way to lower seat height is to cut down the seat foam and recover.

If you put shorter shocks on the rear, you could raise the forks in the trees a little and also shorten the front forks (which limits the travel). All of those things will affect handling somewhat, but unless you're dragging knees through the corners, it'll probably be fine.

Any altering of shock height in the back will change your front end geometry which will affect handling. Back in the day they used to make drop brackets for the 750 shocks to lower them but you are still altering the geometry of the bike. Safest way to lower seat height is to cut down the seat foam and recover.
tks

have 74 cb 750, is it possible to put smaller rear shocks on to lower the bike. Without causing any problem in handling. I had a 86 bow 50 that had smaller rear shocks, 2 inch and pushed front forks up about 1/2inch. Wondering if anyone has done that with750"s...
Yes I have 11 inches shocks !

No ! Everything stay the same. No hard riding for me , no difference in handling .
Thank you for the reply!
Being a shorter rider, im thinking of 10". Wanna make sure my feet are flat on the ground and im in complete control. Probably overkill but i can always swap up. Did you lower your front forks as well?

Thank you for the reply!
Being a shorter rider, im thinking of 10". Wanna make sure my feet are flat on the ground and im in complete control. Probably overkill but i can always swap up. Did you lower your front forks as well?
I was in the same situation so I bought a pair of shorter shocks online from some catalog. It lowered the bike but was like a hard tail. I called the local Hagon dealer and asked what they can do. Hagon shocks are all custom made to what you need, not off the shelf. The dealer contacted Hagon in England and they said with my bike, 77 CB750, the shortest I should go in metric was just short of 11 inches. OEM is 12. Any less will compromise the ability to preform properly. It would either be too much spring in too small a length, or not enough spring for the weight. They asked for , and took into account my weight (200). Can't say what the result was as I just got them, not yet installed.

Bob

Back