• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Sideways play in front drive sprocket (normal???)

ray_

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been rebuilding a 1979 CB750 engine for some time now (on and off). Since it had been so long since I took my engine apart, I decide to do a mock assembly of my crankcase before I close the crankcase up for good! Everything seems to be fitting well and turning/working as intended (and have no extra bits left behind after bolting up the crankcase
Very Happy
). However, I did notice that there was some play in the front drive sprocket even when bolted down. Will attach a video below. Is that normal? If not, what's wrong here?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QVfwFi6rGHGy3riyq01Bpji32HqOA0X9/view?usp=sharing

FYI: The bike is a '79 CB750K DOHC

mine does that and i was told they all do that. having only worked on brit iron for over 40years i thought it shouldn't do that until i was told otherwise

Thank you @kirky . I am relieved to know that. I will add that I got in touch with a local Honda expert and he said the same so I am guessing we're good!

But OMG, 40 years of working on brit iron is very cool!! (I have been on Earth for slightly more than half that time :)). Brit bikes are the quintessential motorcycles!

Back