• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Sandcast value

maury

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to purchase a 1969 Sandcast.
It is in very rough condition (stored since 1994) although no obvious frame rust and original exhaust. All (including pipes) will need repaint/rechrome. Engine does turn with 16,000 miles showing.
Any idea what I would offer to buy this bike?
Thanks

Any chance to post a couple pics? Guess it depends on what you plan to do with it. What is being asked for it? Could easily throw $20k+ in parts, motor, chroming etc. at it. Check Bring a Trailer for recent prices that others have sold for this summer. However the market has turned some since then. A couple sandcasts have sold for mid 20k's. A couple didn't sell at $30k...

This is in the corner of a plane hangar out in the country. Been sitting since 1993. Because there are other bikes jammed up against it and the owner didn't want them moved I was only able to get the pictures seen here.
Yeah, I've seen the bids/prices dropping on BaT myself. I have restored some 70's Honda's and would like the project but the cost of things are very alarming at this point. One question I have is about the exhaust, if there is no rust, can they be rechromed?
The owner wants me to make an offer. I'm thinking in the range $ 6,500 or so. Anymore, and there is no $$ upside. Although, I'd love to just restore and enjoy it. I would insert photos and have done so on other sites by simply copy/paste but have no website, blog, etc to be able to insert to this site with a "URL". Any suggestion for photo posting would be appreciated.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes the cost of parts is in the stratosphere. I'm pretty sure exhaust pipes can be chromed. Might depend on the specific facility.
Regarding posting pics... The only site I'm somewhat familiar with is Google Drive. I believe you can post pics there and provide a link to the folder.

What's your view on the offer I'm thinking about?
Google is something I purposefully never access. I'm searching for methods to post photos with URL.
Thanks
PS.... Really like your photo!

Thank you Maury! re: your offer... certainly in the ballpark of where I would be. Without seeing pics and having much more info its really hard to say. That being said I will go out on a limb and say my initial impression was thinking $4800 - totally off the top of my head. I would love to see the bike !

I would REALLY like to speak with you.
Is there a secure way I could get your cell phone number (could send photos as well!!)?

you do have a reference looking at $15K in parts to restore correctly - then consider your labor - time spent.

You are doing the current owner a favor by taking on this project!!!

Well I offered $2,000 and was turned down.
I asked how much they wanted and the exact reply was .....
"WAY more than you are willing to pay"

I would want to see the vin numbers ...frame and engine before you can determine if it really is a sandcast. Many people think they have something more significant than what the actually have. You need to verify that it is true and proper sandcast before paying sandcast prices. It very well could be real but then again it could have 69 frame and replacement engine cases as well, thus not being worth near as much money. By the sounds of it seller thinks sandcast means its worth a fortune no mater what but condition still plays a huge factor in pricing. If its really rough its not worth much more than and other 750 in my book. If the engine has non sand cast parts its worth less, if its stuck its worth less, if aluminum bits...cases,carbs have corrosion even less$$. Early exhaust are worth money but if they need rechroming then it wont be worth as much as new NOS or new condition. All of this figures into what its worth, yes true sandcast is worth more money but not if its literal junk with no usable parts. I would have offered same sight unseen, if you can get in and inspect close and make sure its all there and original and good usable parts it may well be worth two or three times more what you have offered. JMO

It's parked between 2 other bikes that are literally touching each other. This kept me from seeing the front and much forward of the seat. The VIN, engine # as well as the unique cosmetics all seems to confirm it is a sandcast. I was able to stand (yeah I know, I know) on the kickstarter and it budged about 2 inches. Exhaust is all there (could not crawl under to look at number/complete condition). It's pretty rough.
I finally figured out how to post pictures !!!

Attachments

• IMG_6034.JPG
    IMG_6034.JPG
    339.9 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_6036.JPG
    IMG_6036.JPG
    365.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_6037.JPG
    IMG_6037.JPG
    377.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_6038.JPG
    IMG_6038.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2332.JPG
    IMG_2332.JPG
    349.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_2333.JPG
    IMG_2333.JPG
    451.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2342.JPG
    IMG_2342.JPG
    296.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2345.JPG
    IMG_2345.JPG
    397.5 KB · Views: 160
Well the engine does appear to be a correct sand cast....number stampings look original Honda. But engine has very serious corrosion and should not be painted black. Almost certain the inside has corrosion as well. Carbs appear correct. Exhaust looks correct. Entire bike is very rough. Is it still worth money....absolutely, sandcasts have a cult following but this one would take many thousands and thousands to make correct again. It looks very complete but very rough. NADA list excellent at almost $29000 and fair at $3660 and dont even give price for poor. Your $2000 offer was fair. The owner obviously wants a price for a good condition bike not poor.

Back