• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

RPM increase while shifting

Wez_

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

So I removed my carbs for some cleaning while I awaited parts to arrive. Upon reinstallation, when I pull the clutch in to shift through the gears, I can hear the bike "surge" or what I describe as the rpms slightly increasing. Prior, when I pulled in the clutch to shift gears, the engine was nice and patient and waited for me complete the shift before it started to eat pavement up again. It almost seems like the butterflies aren't completely closed when I release the throttle during clutching. Now I think of it, the throttle return cable does have some slack in it but I could not seem to remove all the slack with the lock nut that fixes to the carb bracket. Is there an adjustment at the throttle lever end on the right hand control? The carb does not snap shut mechanically when the engine is off, sitting there. It slowly returns to closed when relying only on the mechanical linkage. All 4 banks are synchronized.

Wrapped the headers and made a home made skid plate :D

IMG_20200817_171840292.jpg

You MUST have a bit of slack in the cable or you get that. The cable being tight is slightly opening the throttle.

OK, so the front cable pulls the butterflies open, and the rear cable closes it correct? If that's correct, then I should be increasing the slack in the front cable.

Need a bit in both. There's no reason to have zero slack in the closer and it may interfere with full wide open. The slack is to also to be able to turn the handlebars to full side to side and yet not make idle go up.

Need a bit in both. There's no reason to have zero slack in the closer and it may interfere with full wide open. The slack is to also to be able to turn the handlebars to full side to side and yet not make idle go up.

Thanks! I adjust and see how what happens.

Thanks again AMC! The front cable was tight as all heck. Much better now.

Just wanted to add...My cables weren't lubricated neither. After adjusting the cable and lubricating, the throttle now snaps shut when I let off it. Much better

Last edited:
Back