• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Rough idle then dies

dist80c

CB750 New member
Reaction score
'79 CB750K. Engine turns over, but I have to hold the throttle open to keep it from dying. I warm it up like this for a minute or so, but as soon as I release the throttle it dies. This started the other day when I was riding and all of sudden it cut out after about 1/2 mile. I thought maybe it was flooded so I waited a couple of minutes, restarted it and took off, only to have it happen again after another 1/2 mile.

The fuel is good (90-91 octane / no ethanol). I also added Seafoam to stabilize. I removed the fuel valve assembly to check for blockages. Strangely enough there is no filter screen over the inlet tube, but everything else looked good. Fuel filter was replaced last year and that's clean, too. I blew everything out with compressed air. Carbs were rebuilt last year and it was running fine up until now, although it always idled rough at cold start.

Appreciate if anyone out there has had a similar experience and can offer some tips or advice? Thanks!

Back