• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Resto-Mod F1 Build...kinda cafe, kinda superbike style

Just for support here are two derivatives of the CB750 I owned.
Scan 1.jpeg
Scan2.jpeg

Toured all over Europe on the one above (With aMate on a Z1000), Honda never missed a beat.
Stupidly chopped it in part ex for a modern CBR600; and regretted it soon after.

I also restored a Phil Read Replica version:
PHIL RIED 1.jpg

Another stupid part ex for something shinny and new...Duh:banghead:
These are now worth big money in Blighty.

I did read a review on CB750's years ago; generally they were well regarded.
However; they did say if its a Hondmatic version to quietly walk away.....Strange that:umm:

I will get one one day........
Ads.

I also restored a Phil Read Replica version:
PHIL RIED 1.jpg

Another stupid part ex for something shinny and new...Duh:banghead:
These are now worth big money in Blighty.
I know the feeling; my first car was a '67 Corvette 427 with factory side pipes and knockoffs. Traded it for a tricked-out '78 Dodge van to take on a ski trip to Colorado:doh:

Everything is looking great so far JP. I’m really liking the look of the mono shock combined with the modern inverted forks. If you’ve already mentioned somewhere, I must have missed it, what are the forks off of and did you have to do anything special to fit them? They look the business! 😉

Everything is looking great so far JP. I’m really liking the look of the mono shock combined with the modern inverted forks. If you’ve already mentioned somewhere, I must have missed it, what are the forks off of and did you have to do anything special to fit them? They look the business! 😉
The forks and trees are from a '14 Yamaha FZ1 (dimensions = R1). CognitoMoto makes a stem tube that replaces stock and allows conversion to the CB750. Also using their front hub that allows conversion of R1 to spokes and uses Suzuki SV1000 rotors and FZ1 calipers - all Ebay parts.

I'm currently waiting on an Ebay GSXR750 shock, as it has bushings both ends and may make mounting fabrication a bit simpler. Haven't hacked anything permanent yet;)

Now that the monoshock appears viable, the frame hacking has begun; just removed the section rear of the stock shock mounts and part of the inner fender/ passenger seat brace:
20230106_165059.jpg

None of that will be needed as we're going solo seat with a "racy" (lol) looking tailpiece:
20230101_213803.jpg

Most sane folks would just buy a rear cowl from Airtech or such, but I had this bright idea to attach one to the stock seat base; it retains the shape that meets well with the back of the tank and covers the largish tunnel at the rear. It retains the hinge and latch too :)
I dunno about "racy", compared to sleek, modern styling - it certainly has a certain 70's vibe (maybe it'll grow on me).
20230106_171841 - Copy.jpg

20230106_171903 - Copy.jpg

It was not attached (just set on the frame) if you look at the front of the seat pan, you'll see it's not straight with the tank - I think the camera angle/focal also can have that effect - anyway, it's straight as can be:)

Last edited:
Gettin' wired!
Holy crap; there's a lot of connections on a bike.....
20230118_011305.jpg

20230118_011319.jpg

It's hard to find striped wire like the OEM's use, so I put some colored shrink-tube on some of the circuits to differentiate what's what - otherwise ya run out of colors and get confused. I also crimp and solder the terminals so they stay put (had some pull apart at inconvenient times).
20230118_011358.jpg

20230118_011458 (2).jpg

Thank guys! I'm installing a trick little speedo and very tiny front signals from MotoGadget - and fabing the darn brackets for them and the speedo sensor - the final wiring components. I'll post some pics when done with that....

20230122_200954.jpg

The MotoScope Tiny....the Motogadget stuff is top-notch and very cool, but making all the brackets to mount the stuff gets very fiddly...
20230122_203857.jpg

20230122_200918.jpg

20230122_200843.jpg

Motogadget Blaze, very small turn signals
20230122_203755.jpg

20230122_203828.jpg

Back