• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

refill oil

trimboli1992

CB750 New member
Reaction score
i am not ashamed to ask since this is the first time ive worked on a cb750. i drained all the oil in my 1976 cb750f and when i went to refill it the only spot i saw to fill oil in the bike was the oil tank on the right side of the bike. which it only took three qts. is there another location to fill oil so it gets to the crank case. i have no oil in the crankcase now and dont see anywhere else to put oil. are my oil lines clogged since it isnt in the crankcase or flowing thu. anything would be appreciated.

Thats how a dry sump engine works. A majority of the oil is held in the oil tank. Oil is pumped to the engine from the tank with the high pressure pump. The oil drains to the sump in the engine where the scavenge pump pumps it back to the tank. Very little oil will ever be in the oil pan...maybe half a quart. If several quarts drain to the oil pan from the tank then the valve in the oil pump is leaking. If the tank drains empty do not start! The engine is not getting oil if the tank is empty.

I've been somewhat curious about that one myself. What does one do to change the oil? Drain engine, tank, and oil filter cavity all at once? Then fill tank to level and start up engine to let the engine amount come up then shutdown to recheck and fill tank again?

I've been somewhat curious about that one myself. What does one do to change the oil? Drain engine, tank, and oil filter cavity all at once? Then fill tank to level and start up engine to let the engine amount come up then shutdown to recheck and fill tank again?

Correct, and as an FYI there is about 1/2 quart that really doesn’t get drained. After draining, I sometimes spin the engine with oil filter housing off just to the point oil spitting slows down.

Back