• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Rear shocks rebuild

ray_

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible to rebuild the rear shocks on the '79 CB750K? I think I read somewhere that they are gas filled too? Can anyone please explain or direct me to any resources on how the ones on the 750 work?

Thanks.

There's no point in rebuilding those stock rear shocks -- completely non-adjustable damping, and they're not designed to be rebuilt at all as the head of the damper is crimped over at the factory.
I'm personally experimenting with rebuilding a stock pair of rear shocks from a 1980 CB750F, but those are multi-adjustable so they're much more worth doing.
YSS and Ikon both make good shocks for these bikes, but good suspension isn't cheap.

There's no point in rebuilding those stock rear shocks -- completely non-adjustable damping, and they're not designed to be rebuilt at all as the head of the damper is crimped over at the factory.
I'm personally experimenting with rebuilding a stock pair of rear shocks from a 1980 CB750F, but those are multi-adjustable so they're much more worth doing.
YSS and Ikon both make good shocks for these bikes, but good suspension isn't cheap.
I also have a 1980 cb750f and am looking to possibly rebuild the shocks or get new ones. Any luck with the rebuild? If so what parts did you use?

I also have a 1980 cb750f and am looking to possibly rebuild the shocks or get new ones. Any luck with the rebuild? If so what parts did you use?
Functionally impossible, and not worth the time, to rebuild those stock shocks. I ground off the lip of the damper and discovered that the factory seal is ultra thick underneath it -- at least 10mm and it's incredibly hard to pull back out of the body due to the abundance of friction. I would have to fabricate or purchase a specialized puller to yank the shaft and seal out together or reach down through the lips of the seal and pull it up and out.
And then, if I successfully got it open and replaced the seals, I'd have to fabricate a new cap for the shock body. I had a feeling I might be able to do this on my lathe, but after grinding down the crimped edge I found that the shock's wall thickness is slim and the steel is soft. A press-fit cap would not be very secure and threading the inside of the body is impossible on my little lathe.

The best you could do is find a spot to drill a small hole in the bottom of the shocks, drain out the old oil, fill them back up with new oil, and reseal the hole. If your seals are leaking then you're outta luck.

Buy something better that's meant to be rebuilt. None of the quality options are cheap but good suspension never is.

Functionally impossible, and not worth the time, to rebuild those stock shocks. I ground off the lip of the damper and discovered that the factory seal is ultra thick underneath it -- at least 10mm and it's incredibly hard to pull back out of the body due to the abundance of friction. I would have to fabricate or purchase a specialized puller to yank the shaft and seal out together or reach down through the lips of the seal and pull it up and out.
And then, if I successfully got it open and replaced the seals, I'd have to fabricate a new cap for the shock body. I had a feeling I might be able to do this on my lathe, but after grinding down the crimped edge I found that the shock's wall thickness is slim and the steel is soft. A press-fit cap would not be very secure and threading the inside of the body is impossible on my little lathe.

The best you could do is find a spot to drill a small hole in the bottom of the shocks, drain out the old oil, fill them back up with new oil, and reseal the hole. If your seals are leaking then you're outta luck.

Buy something better that's meant to be rebuilt. None of the quality options are cheap but good suspension never is.
Thanks for saving me from going down that road, looks like I will have to hunt down some good quality shocks then.

They restored my native shock absorbers in a professional workshop

Attachments

• 20240404_233213.jpg
    20240404_233213.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 15
They restored my native shock absorbers in a professional workshop
Can you make those pictures a ailable to us so we can see the process and parts used.This would be good info for some of us who decide to go this route!
Thanks

full recovery , video and foto. Now as new.

Attachments

• 20240406_185028.jpg
    20240406_185028.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240406_185013.jpg
    20240406_185013.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240406_185005.jpg
    20240406_185005.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240406_184957.jpg
    20240406_184957.jpg