• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Rear brake shoes

Gacataki

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

I need to have my rear brake shoes re-lined. (1980 CB 750 Custom). What would the correct thickness of the material be? Thanks

Do you mean replacing your brake shoes themselves, or do you mean getting the rear drum re-lined?

The shoes are disposable, but the drum is part of the hub and has a cast-iron liner in it for the brake shoes to push against.

Thanks for the reply. I need to replace the brake shoes, but they are not easily available where I live. They can be re-lined by a brake shop.
I'm just not sure what thickness to tell them to line them.

Huh, I'd never even heard of re-lining brake shoes. I don't think that's been done here in the US in decades.

The used brake shoes in the back of my 1980 CB750K had about 5mm of material when I last measured them. You probably could ask for 6mm thick material and it would work just fine.

Are you able to source non-OEM, e.g. EBC or SBS locally?
(The shoes for most of the DOHC were used in many models.)
Relatively cheap and most will have a set of springs as well (springs get weak with time)

Back