• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Pucks and cam towers

Draterhuman

CB750 Member
Reaction score
question
I’m getting ready to set the pucks. I’m using permatex 2. I don’t want the seal to harden.
i have heard a LOT out there that pucks are a common failure.
Why is it that after sealant and puck install does one not add, around the perimeter of the cam tower, some permatex aviation sealer so oil doesn’t get to the pucks at all?
Or does oil need to flow under there? I can’t see a reason why oil would need to enter under the towers.
what do ya’ll think?

No need for the extra sealant because that is what the pucks are for..... Most of the time people having problems with leaks are either using old hard pucks or poor quality aftermarket pucks or they are using way too much sealant that causes them to slide out of position. Contrary to popular belief to much sealant causes more issues than not enough. In all honesty you really shouldnt have to use any sealant on them. I rarely if ever use any sealant on brand new pucks. If the machined surfaces are smooth and clean there is no reason. There is no pressurized oil by them, it only has oil that seeps into the areas of the pucks.

I hear you, and thanks for reply.
So, simply, it’s like over tightening a bolt because, one may think, the more torque the better, instead of knowing specs. Then snap the bolt goes.
RutMaker, (motocross?) excuse me dirtdigger, what about aftermarket pucks? I hear a lot on the internet about putting spacers under the “Thinner pucks”. What does your experience say?
And would it hurt to put a thin coat of permatex aviation sealer around the towers?

I have never heard anything about shimming pucks, to me that sounds ridiculous. I use pucks from cb750 supply all the time and never have issues. No need to put sealer around the towers. Make sure the oil pressure orings under the towers are good and good pucks and there is not need for any sealer. I have 0 leaks on any of my engines and rebuilds and only use a little hondabond on the pucks when I decide to reuse them. Excess sealant that has a potential to get loose in the engine is the main cause of top end death in these engines. If anything gets loose it has a tendency to run through the oil system and end up in the very small oil orifice in the head under the cam towers. This plugs and blocks off oil to the cam and destroys the tower and the cam and if it seizes breaks the cam chain and then valves, pistons etc.

Back