• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

powder coated nipples and spokes.

Daren

Daren
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I was looking into getting some rims, spokes, and nipples powder coated and my
local shop told me they would not recommend powder coating the nipples because they may
chip when torqued up. Can anyone give advice?
thanks

I've had powdercoated parts chip fairly easy when mounting stuff, so yes, I think they're right. Black anodized nipples maybe?

Thanks gents,
This is actually for my 360 build so I guess it should be under the "show us your other bikes" thread, but it can apply to any bike.
360 build_1.jpg.
Since I acquired the metallic green tank with black and white stripes I thought I'd like to get the
frame and rims powder coated flat white and swingarm flat black. I was debating getting the spokes and nipples powder coated
flat white too. Re-plating the spokes and nipples is another option but more expensive than powder coating.
Either way I'm putting more shekels into this bike than I should be and need to
look for cost effective ways of making it purdy. If the nipples chip I would have wasted my money.
Be well.

OK, I thought I had to share this because it is too ridiculous.
My local shop quoted me $25.00 per spoke and nipple for chrome plating.
Granted I am new to the world of plating and maybe I shouldn't be surprised.
That's $1800 for 72 spokes and nipples. Holy bovine feces. May as well buy new wheels for that price.

Yeah, Chrome platting is really expensive. I've been quoted $300-$400 for a front fender. That does seem a bit much though.

Not that I entirety suggest it, but I've seen some builders powder coat wheels whole minus tires and bearings. You should be able to get new rims for under $200 each, and there's lots of places that sell spoke kits, i.e. http://www.buchananspokes.com/

Back