• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Position of High Point of VALVE LOBE when using feeler Gauge

Phil B

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a 1981 CB750FZ.
I have just checked the Valve Clearances and they are all to tight
Exhaust 004 004 003 003 003 003 004 003
Intake 003 002 002 003 004 002 004 003
Just asking where about does the high part of the Cam Lobe point to get the correct reading ???
I noticed if I pointed the high part straight up to the sky , it would read say 003
But
if I rotated the Cam Lobe a bit more to be pointing more at the Gasket level, the Gap would then increase and then measure 004
So can someone please tell me where about's Mr Honda says the High Part of the Lode has to be pointing while checking the Valve gap.
thanks, regards Phil

Below is the per book routine. In practice it is ok to have the lobe apex 180 degrees from the shim (pointing directly away). Personally, were it mine, I'd adjust the intakes that are currently .002" to .004 and leave the rest as-is. If you happen to have aftermarket, high performance parts installed or you regularly run the motor hard @ high rpm then adjust all to .005"-.006"

img037.jpg

Below is the per book routine. In practice it is ok to have the lobe apex 180 degrees from the shim (pointing directly away). Personally, were it mine, I'd adjust the intakes that are currently .002" to .004 and leave the rest as-is. If you happen to have aftermarket, high performance parts installed or you regularly run the motor hard @ high rpm then adjust all to .005"-.006"

View attachment 13241
THANK YOU for the info,,,,
OK I will just change anything that is around .002 into around about .004 or .005.
I am not a racer so the Motor will be just cruising along doing it easy
so
it Looks like I just have to line up the mark on the end of the Cam Shaft with the Rocker cover Gasket matting surface
or
as you say have the high part of the Lobe at 90 degrees parallel to the Shim surface,
thanks again for the info

Back