• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

points and wiring harness

Willishal

CB750 Member
Reaction score
have a 75 cb 750 F and a 74 k wiring harness everything works except the points do not fire all the time. I had it running long enough to set the idle and now the points fire on first rotation and then not....new coils and wires and plug caps. continuity through wires check out...battery charged...new points and condensers ..jump wire in safety switch connector. volts drop to 11.85 at the blue and yellow wires. have set points and did static testing and light comes on at f mark on both sets of points....i fell if the wiring harness was the issue i would have not had it running

Make sure that the plate that holds the points is not moving, and check the cam lob that opens and closes the points for play.
Are the points good quality with the tension spring properly installed?

Make sure that the plate that holds the points is not moving, and check the cam lob that opens and closes the points for play.
Are the points good quality with the tension spring properly installed?
will do, ordered another set of points..tks...put paper between points and have 12.2 volts and they fire the first rotation of engine then stop

there is play behind the points plate, i can stick the feeler gage of .014 and take the play out of it. the advance unit is also moving a that much.. not sure if i can tighten up that larger nut to take play out. not sure how hard it will be to get the nut to tighten..reversed thread and will have to stop crank from turning

20211019_085908.jpg

Attachments

• 20211019_085901.jpg
    20211019_085901.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 157
you dont tighten the large nut....the 10mm nut in the middle of the large one is what holds the advancer on the crank. Take the nut off and pull the advancer, looks like the alignment down is bent or advancer was installed and tightened with it not in the correct spot.

Back