• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Petcock tube stuck in tank

clemens1292

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a novice at working on motorcycles, but I just yesterday sealed my 81' CB750 tank with the POR15 kit.
I removed the petcock ahead of time, but it wasn't until after the whole thing was said and done that I now realize the tube coming off the petcock (filter?) is stuck in the tank.

I'm referring to the clear tube shown here:

$(KGrHqN,!nkE63U,fT,zBO-T1lKN!g~~60_12.jpg

So I'm wondering what I've gotten myself into here... First, is this something that I need to figure out how to remove (Maybe it doesn't even matter)? The bike has had some sort of starting issues that I've been wondering if were fuel related, but the petcock seemed to always do it's job.
If I do need to get it out of there, does anyone recommend a way of removing it? Maybe if I pushed it into the tank I could then remove it from the tank fill hole.
And lastly, would it then be necessary to seal the tank again?

Thanks for any help and I'm greatly looking forward to utilizing this forum.
As frustrating as it can be, I'm really enjoying working on this bike.

-Alex

Attachments

• $(KGrHqN,!nkE63U,fT,zBO-T1lKN!g~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqN,!nkE63U,fT,zBO-T1lKN!g~~60_12.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 135
More than likely you got the liner material in the screen now and it wont flow fuel. I would take a pick or something from the petcock side of the tank and just pull it out, you will probably ruin it in the process but its already more than likely bad if you got the liner material on the screen.

Sounds good. I went ahead and ordered a new one. I'm not sure I have a pick small enough to get in there, but I'll try to figure something out.

So I got it out by prying around with a screw driver and pulling on it with a pair of pliers, it's definitely trashed, but I'm glad I got it out.
However, there's a bit of flake from the liner both rattling around in the tank and tearing off from where it was connecting to the now removed screen.

I definitely want to do this right... but maybe I could just flush it with water (gas?) and then dry it out real good? Or an air compressor might just do the trick.

Last edited:
yeah I would try blowing it out with air while moving the tank around to try to get all of the loose stuff out. The new screen should take most anything out before it gets to the carbs. You could add an inline filter in the fuel line to be sure. You may have to check and clean that screen a couple of times after you run some gas through the tank.

Back