• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Petcock leaking when "on" or "res"

ShiteHawk

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I have an 83 cb750sc and it leaks from the petcock when in any position other than "off".

I bought this bike maybe 8 years ago and got it running but since then went to college and stuff so it mostly sat for like 4 years. Its been long enough that I cant remember if I replaced the petcock, but it looks like I did because there is no vacuum deal on the side. I also cant remember if I was on this forum or a different one back then but I'm having trouble finding relevant posts.

Anyway, is there a preferred source for replacement petcocks or petcock rebuild kits? And is this an sohc petcock? I found a petcock that looks the same on Amazon for 12 dollars but the reviews are not great...

A bit late to get back but in case someone else finds this thread--Mine did that at first (bike that sat 12 yrs) but soon stopped. I read elsewhere that the rubber can dry out but then swell again in the presence of fuel.

The rubber can dry out indeed, but when u still have a leaky petcock about 3 days from initial startup you may need to replace the bastard, i use cmsnl.com(a great partstore) for used or new stock parts. Ships fast and is reliable.

never use cheap petcocks, they tend to leak when in off and still fill up your carbs also quality is not great, also not a great thing to have on a original bike(if that is what you have).

Also ethanol in your fuel may cause the leak also. try to get ethanol free gas.

Back