• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Oil leak on exhaust cam chain tension

Yes you can replace the o ring, loosen the locking nut and then remove the bolt, also there is a small rubber plug that goes into the block this can also leak oil giving the impression that the leak is comming from the tensioner. Easy to take out with a dry wall screw by screwing the screw into the plug you will feel it hit metal this is part of the plug, then pull the plug out with pliers or grips, new plug is then just pushed in. Hope this helps 👍

I thought maybe I had to have the engine in a certain position to do that.

No but you will have to run the engine on tick over with bolt loose to allow the auto tensioner to do its thing then nip the bolt not tight plus locking nut. All information you need should be in the manual👍

I just got this bike last fall went through the carbs completely went through the valve adjustment got it running perfectly and I hate to mess up.
The manual goes over timing chain replacement and is vague on tensioner.
Could you please be more clear on if I just back out the bolt and lockout and run them back in to the same depth without rotating the engine would that be okay.
Thanks

IMG_20220510_125151.jpg

You remove the bolt you don't have to put the crank in any position the diagram shows how the bolt just pushes down on to the wedge shaped bar of the tensioner hope this helps👍

Got her done, rampton and put a few miles on it looks like the oil leak is solved thank you very much for your advice.

Hello rampton when you put the bike in neutral and let the clutch out setting still is it normal to have a little bit of noise from down by the shifter
Thanks ,,John

That's normal for these bikes, when you pull the clutch lever the noise goes or gets quieter. Some people can't put up with noise and start delving into the double plated clutch plate that is riveted think they call it the B plate on Honda parts, you can't hear it whilst riding, one to investigate further when you can't stand the rattle. Good luck and have fun👍🇬🇧

Back