• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

No power new battery, solenoid. etc.. Ugh!

ontargetbill

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I cleaned up and painted my 1980 cb 750 k.
Sanded the frame and motor mount where negative ground wire goes. I suspect it's a good ground or engine would not turn over.
I have no lights unless I run a jumper wire from positive on battery to ignition connector. All lights work.
No starter button.
Jump solenoid engine cranks fine.
Both new starter solenoid thought that was an issue.
both spark igniters have had the epoxy leak out mostly. not just cracked but is gone.

I pulled alot of the connectors out, cleaned them in vinegar and salt , then nutalized vinegar with backing soda and water.

Any idea's what could be stopping power going from starter solenoid to the frontof the bike and or turn on the lights and starter switch?

Could it be the inline diode?

Where can I find a replacement diode online?

I've got the color wiring diagram and spent hours looking for a short in the wiring but not a pro. :banghead:

Any ideas or help would be appreciative.

thanks,

Last edited:
I would start with all those connectors you used vinegar and baking soda on....It makes a nice a shiny, rust free surface.....for like 2 days, then the rust comes back 10 fold. Perhaps your secret crabby patty formula of vinegar and baking soda works for other applications, but in my experience, scraping the rust, grime, debris off with a sharp knife or machinist tool works best. That baking soda and vinegar leave residue behind that contaminate the metal worst. Check you "cleans" and make sure they are not worst than before. If you're in the US, try and replace any cheap electrical parts with new ones. Leave the jimmy rigging and formula creations for those outside the US who have no access to available parts. If you need a solution to aid in cleaning, try carburetor cleaner. Just scrape all debris manually.

Back