• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

no dash lights after tightening solenoid relay screws

nogalarry

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Not sure what happened here; I went to start it and it just clicked. I noticed the connections were a bit loose on the wires to the starter solenoid, so I tightened them. Now I have no lights nor power. I've checked all the fuses (4 of them) and all have continuity across them. I checked the ignition switch as well, and there is continuity when in the on position. I measured the volts at the wires connecting to the ignition switch and it's good (12.6V). I thought I may have a fried solenoid so I bought a new one but still nothing. I tested the solenoid and it seems to be working fine (big click when I connected power to the contacts). Anyone have an idea where the problem may be? The ground wire seems solid on the bike. I'm not sure if it was just coincidence about tightening the solenoid, but any guidance/insight anyone can offer is appreciated. 89,000 miles on the bike and want to keep it going.

So, just a fyi follow up; after troubleshooting the complete electrical system, it turned out that both new batteries I had sent to me were bone dry. Voltage looked fine, but after turning the key it would drop to 0. Guess I just couldn’t believe they would send sealed batteries like that.

Back