• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Newbie Question: Engine Tachometer Line Leaking *looks watery*

jeffq88

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey all, new guy here looking for some help. I'm new here and new to motorcycles and vehicle maintenance in general, so apologies in advance as I learn. I bought a 1978 CB750 Super Sport and looking to learn and grow as I work on this baby to hopefully bring her to her former glory. I've started with some basics; spark plugs, oil/filter change, rebuilt brakes and master cylinders, and cleaned and mostly rebuilt carbs. It sat for about 4 years but I've got it running and it sounds pretty solid to me. I did a cold compression test prior to any attempts at starting and got 60's across all 4. I haven't done another compression since having it running - hoping to have much better figures after I do the next test.

Now on to the question...after changing the oil and having it running I noticed a drip coming from the front of the engine. The source is coming from the tach line where it enters the top of the engine. I realize I can simply replace the gasket/o ring seal and that should take care of the leak, so not really any worries there. My concern/question is about the color/consistency of the fluid. It's a rust color and looks kind of watery. Is that normal or of concern? Is that what new engine oil should look like coming from the tach drive port?

May be water from washing bike.

Your compression test was faulty or gauge bad, the engine should not even start at 60 psi. Engine considered junk at 100, acceptable is 130+.

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to reply and the input. Guess I need to invest in a new compression gauge and try again. As for the fluid, the bike hasn’t been washed since I bought it about 3-4 weeks ago. It’s been parked in a shed only, and prior owner had it stashed for a few years in his garage. I thought maybe just a little water had possible gotten in there too, but even after it running and driving it for about 45 minutes it was still oozing out the same color. Maybe I’m just a dummie on what engine oil looks like when seeping out? Just seemed real watery like to me.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I did remove cable end from the tachometer itself to see if liquid was dripping from that end, but it was dry. Maybe I'll try to get a pic or two if it's still doing it after that.

Back