• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New Bike Advice - 79 CB750k

RabidFlea

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post here! I'm looking for some advice. I'm looking at purchasing my first bike and I've found an absolutely beautiful cafe converted 79 CB750K. The guy builds bikes and did this one for a friend who ended up going with something else. I wanted to get some opinions about this bike and it's capabilities before I pull the trigger.

This bike has 13k on the odometer. It has all original internals on the motor; seller states he isn't sure if it's ever been rebuilt so all seals are likely original. The carbs have been worked on and are (from my limited knowledge) perfectly tuned; the thing idles beautifully and seems to handle higher rpms well. I didn't take the bike onto the highway during my test drive but I got it up to around 60 with 6-7k rpms and the bike seemed to love it. Cornering felt good and straightaways felt great but I'm not experienced with motorcycles so I don't exactly know what I should be looking out for at higher speeds and rpms.

I'm wanting this bike as my first and to use as a daily commuter for my 30 mile highway drive to work and back most days through the week. Should I expect issues with old seals falling apart or issues at 70-75 mph on the highway? Any suggestions of things I should look at on an older bike like this are appreciated. Thank you so much!

Any pics?
Is the bike standard?...
Spoke wheels or comstars??
The really early ones had leaks around the rear lower engine studs...subject to a service alert/?recall...should have been sorted early...and would be evident by a leak.

The bikes fun to ride...i have the same model..so biased.. 😄
If you have spoke wheels the only caveat is as a commuter have a plan if u get a flat......roadside tube repairs aint fun...if running tubeless on non-wire spoke wheels an easy to use plug kit kept under the seat will have u sorted....

The DOHC tend to sell for less $ than the SOHC so make sure the asking price is "fair"

Last edited:
Any pics?
Is the bike standard?...
Spoke wheels or comstars??
The really early ones had leaks around the rear lower engine studs...subject to a service alert/?recall...should have been sorted early...and would be evident by a leak.

The bikes fun to ride...i have the same model..so biased.. 😄
If you have spoke wheels the only caveat is as a commuter have a plan if u get a flat......roadside tube repairs aint fun...if running tubeless on non-wire spoke wheels an easy to use plug kit kept under the seat will have u sorted....

The DOHC tend to sell for less $ than the SOHC so make sure the asking price is "fair"
Hey there! Thank you for your reply. The bike has comstars on it. Your commet about flat plugs is wise, I'll remember that and grab some next time I'm at the store as I'm sure that will apply to any bike I get with non-spoke wheels. I've also attached a couple of photos of the bike. Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• 20220820_150458.jpg
    20220820_150458.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 20220820_150455 - Copy.jpg
    20220820_150455 - Copy.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 20220820_150652 - Copy.jpg
    20220820_150652 - Copy.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 110
  • SmartSelect_20220728-163900_Chrome - Copy.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220728-163900_Chrome - Copy.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 112
Thanks for uploading.
Bike looks good.
Sometimes they run poorly with filter pods fitted...but if idling and reving well that seems to be sorted.

Back