• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New Bike - 1977 750-Four Super Sport F2 - Headlight and blinker indicators and high beam / low beam lights not displaying on instrument panel

Stratmanx

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I've recently inherited my brothers 1977 750-Four Super Sport F2. Excellent condition.

A few issues though, originally I found the blinkers wouldn't work, just would stay on when selected. That was a simple fix, replaced the blinker relay with a #552 from O'Riley Auto Parts and that's corrected.

However, the headlight doesn't work and I've also noticed that the high beam indicator on the gauge cluster will not illuminate, nor will the L/R amber blinker indicators on the cluster light up when the blinkers are working.

But the red oil light will light correctly when the key is on before turning the engine over and will go out when the engine is running, as well as the green neutral indicator.

Tail light and brake light works correctly.

The headlight, main and tail light fuses are all good.

the wiring inside the headlight bucket all look good, no burnt or broken wires.

Any suggestions to narrow this down ?

Thanks all !

Attachments

• Honda 750-Four Super SPort F2.jpg
    Honda 750-Four Super SPort F2.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 239
replaced the bulbs?
I have not as of yet, as looking at the wiring diagram it appears that the high beam and turn signal indicators maybe on a different circuit than the oil pressure / neutral light, so I'm thinking thats a clue that's important.

Attachments

• Lights.JPG
    Lights.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 129
Well I'm back and embarrassed ! I've got the issues sorted out.

It never fails, its always the simple things.

The blinker relay was shot, so replaced that and I've got blinkers.

The 7A fuse for the headlights was blown so replaced that. I've got lights now. The old fuse was original so crumbled as I removed it.

The lights for the blinkers and the high beam in the gauge cluster were also open so replaced them.

I'm embarrassed at my troubleshooting skills as for initially troubleshooting the fuse I just put a meter to each side when it was in circuit with the key off and saw continuity and didn't see it physically blown, so assumed it was good. It was only after that I went to see if i had 12V on each side that I realized the fuse was shot. Simple dumb dumb dumb amateur mistake.

The lights in the gauge cluster show 12V 3.7watt, but I could only find 12v 3.4 watt, but they did the trick. However the high beam blue lense is pretty dense so the light doesnt show up well at all. Even putting one of the original 3.7 watt blubs in there really doesn't light it well. Thinking maybe a 5 watt, but then have to think of the heat generated by that and the possibility of melting the plastic.

The next big step is taking off the front wheel tube is leaking at the base f the valve stem.

The issue is, with the bike on the center stand, it leans forward balancing on the center stand and front wheel.

I don't have a bike jack that will support the weight of this bike and also see where the 4 into one pipe is a bit lower than the frame tubes, so crushing that by using a lift is a concern.

Is it possible to weight down the rear of the bike so as to get a bit of clearnce in the front to get the wheel off that way ?

Thanks all !

Back