• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Need help with unstable turns after new parts

Ajwatuc

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi I was hoping maybe you could give me some tips or insight. I have a 1973 CB500 I rode it for the first summer I had it. It rode great except the rear springs had been cut so going over any bump would nearly break your back. The forks seals were leaking, and the triple tree clamp was cracked. I waited till winter to fix everything. I orderes a used triple tree off eBay and took my wheels and forks off to a shop to have new wheel bearings put in and fork seals. I put everything back together and noticed the bike felt unstable in turns so I started asking around and a lot of people said change steering stem bearings so I did. I put the bike back together and still unstable in turns. I tried replacing rear springs with used factory Honda springs. I also Checked the fork oil and realized it had none. So I put in 10w30 according to the manual. Still it feels unstable in turns and I have stopped riding it altogether because it started feeling unstable at low speeds. Any idea what I could check or try that I haven’t already? Thanks for any help.

Since the shop that that resealed the forks did not top the forks off with oil is not saying much for there work, If the tree was cracked chances are one or both fork tubes are bent they are pretty soft metal it can make handling pretty bad. it could be a number of things. Everytime I rebuild forks I roll the tubes on a flat surface to inspect trueness I also install progressive custom springs. Also if the rear springs were shortened theres a chance of them flying apart the spring pressure keeps the two upper keepers in place.

Since the shop that that resealed the forks did not top the forks off with oil is not saying much for there work, If the tree was cracked chances are one or both fork tubes are bent they are pretty soft metal it can make handling pretty bad. it could be a number of things. Everytime I rebuild forks I roll the tubes on a flat surface to inspect trueness I also install progressive custom springs. Also if the rear springs were shortened theres a chance of them flying apart the spring pressure keeps the two upper keepers in place.

So I should take the forks apart and roll the top tubes on a flat surface? I didn’t mention in the post but I first replaced the rear shocks and springs longer progressives but wasn’t sure if factory length so I ordered used shocks and springs on eBay.

That is up to You, I have seen maybe six or seven bent ones in My life and the trees were not damaged. I meant progressive brand springs in the frt. tubes. Old springs tend to sag You can check the service length as per the manual spec,s put it on a jack and check for looseness on other parts first. I had a 500 four back in the early 70,s gave Me many miles of trouble free service.

Last edited:
Might sound crazy but the bushings might seem tight when the suspension is fully extended, considering the suspension is compressed while riding and has worn most in a certain spot, Not sure if it makes sense but it is possible

If you drove the bike without any fork oil in it for any amount of time then the forks are damaged, you should have been able to tell something was wrong almost instantly there. The bike would have been pitching all over the place in the front end, and horribly at braking.

Back