• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

My build so far for your approval, comments, and advice.

Daren

Daren
Reaction score
As was 2 july 2013.JPG
It came like this.

before.jpg
The whole bike looked like this.

after.jpg
Some wet/dry emery, steel wool, and elbow grease
and she looks like this.

bare bones sprayed.jpg
Everything but the swingarm, engine, and oil tank came off
and the frame sprayed with engine enamel.

carbs.jpg
Cleaned and polished carbs, rebuild not needed yet.

gauges.jpg
Re-did the gauges.

tank.JPG
Stripped, sanded, bondo'd, and repainted the tank.
Got some vintage looking Honda emblems to go where
the old ones would have gone. The previous owner
removed them and filled in the void with bondo.

wiring.jpg
Open wired the bike to make sure everything worked.
40 year old electrical tape had bonded with the frame,
the harness had to be stripped and cleaned.

harness.jpg
Re-configured the harness to run up both sides of the bike,
shortened it, got rid of the plastic junction box on the frame
and all wires relating to it.

electrical.jpg
A smaller battery allowed some room under the seat
for the new fuse box and regulator/rectifier. One reason to
re-configure the harness was because components have been moved.

pipes.jpg
Wrapped the pipes partially.

plate mount.jpg
Those cheap headlight brackets work very well
as license plate brackets when modified.

Thanks for looking. Obviously as we all know these projects are never really done.
I still have plenty to do, hope to get it done in a couple of months. Will post some
more as time permits. Thanks to everyone for posting your knowledge, and thanks
to those which make it possible.
Enjoy your rides and may your nuts never rust.
Daren

Looking good so far. I just bought a 73 750 and basically doing the same things. Tons and tons of cleaning. Enjoy the build.

Very nice. The electrical set up under the seat looks great. Saw a couple of ideas there that I might use.

Very nice. The electrical set up under the seat looks great. Saw a couple of ideas there that I might use.

Be my guest, it's my pleasure to share with the community, although I don't have much to share.
The fuse box is from a newer CB but I don't remember which year.

Carpy seat

seat.jpg
The original owner mentioned the seat had been done by Carpy, which Carpy verified by email.
Original pan but obviously not original F1 seat shape.

Last edited:
Instrument panel fabrication

warning lights.JPG

Decided to make a plate for the warning light cluster with LED's.
Slowly changing the whole bike over to LED except headlight.

Last edited:
Very nice Daren, clean modern look on the insturment panel. I too will use some of your under seat mods on my cafe', What battery did you use?

under seat cradle

Very nice Daren, clean modern look on the instrument panel. I too will use some of your under seat mods on my cafe', What battery did you use?

Sorry for the late response. Search this battery on fleabay,
GEL-YT12A-BS-YTX12A-BS-BATTERY-12V
I have it on it's side since it's leak proof. Couldn't afford a lithium ion.

cradle_1.jpg
I made a simple cradle from aluminum flat stock and a piece of perforated plastic
which follows the contour of the battery box and sits just on top of the battery.
The fuse box and regulator/rectifier are bolted to it.
The whole thing flips up if you need to get to the battery.
Hope it works out for you.

Headlight

headlight_1.jpg

headlight_2.jpg

Finally finished the headlight.
Since it's not a Super Sport F1 bucket it needed a little more room to clear the ignition.

I love those gauge faces! Is that an overlay you bought from somewhere or did you create them yourself?

Unfortunately I did make them in photoshop, so they are not very custom.
The faceplates on the gauges were toast sitting in the Calif. sun, they were flat but all the numerals were shot, so I had to do something.

After opening the gauges I scanned the old faceplate into photoshop and used it as a template to overlay my font
over the original and added a color change. I printed it out on extra thick stock photo paper, sprayed it with a clearcoat with UV protection
and glued them to the originals. Came out acceptable for homemade. Wish I could have printed onto plexi though.
You do lose some of the light that used to show through the old faceplates, but I can still tell how fast I'm going at night.
Anyway how many of us even look at the gauges when we ride?

Good luck if you try it, always willing to help if I can.
have a good one.

I guess it would make sense to include the finished bike in this thread.
I will need to replace the seals in the forks eventually, very small leak on one side.
The clutch isn't perfect, and a few cosmetic details need attention.
But for now it is roadworthy, and that is all I really wanted was something to ride and nurture.
thanks for looking guys, (and gals?)
daren

CB750_1.jpg

CB750_2.jpg

Photoshop or not, they look great. I never would have guessed they were done on paper. I'd be concerned with the light not coming through, though. Either way, they look awesome. I love the indicator lights, too. I'm thinking of doing something like that on mine- I never liked the stock ones.

Your tank is just like mine, too, though I have a blue tank with a white strip on top. Same decal in white. I guess great minds think alike!

Unfortunately I did make them in photoshop, so they are not very custom.
The faceplates on the gauges were toast sitting in the Calif. sun, they were flat but all the numerals were shot, so I had to do something.

After opening the gauges I scanned the old faceplate into photoshop and used it as a template to overlay my font
over the original and added a color change. I printed it out on extra thick stock photo paper, sprayed it with a clearcoat with UV protection
and glued them to the originals. Came out acceptable for homemade. Wish I could have printed onto plexi though.
You do lose some of the light that used to show through the old faceplates, but I can still tell how fast I'm going at night.
Anyway how many of us even look at the gauges when we ride?

Good luck if you try it, always willing to help if I can.
have a good one.

Photoshop or not, they look great. I never would have guessed they were done on paper. I'd be concerned with the light not coming through, though. Either way, they look awesome. I love the indicator lights, too. I'm thinking of doing something like that on mine- I never liked the stock ones.

Your tank is just like mine, too, though I have a blue tank with a white strip on top. Same decal in white. I guess great minds think alike!

Greyhound,
the gauges have two casings, the inner case is sprayed a light blue. There is a gap between
the inner case and the faceplate and much of the light reflects onto the faceplate from the edges,
you really don't lose that much,

I've been watching the super sport tanks on ebay and they get bid up high.
They seem to be a desirable design, only wish It had knee dents.

The indicator lights were pretty hard to fabricate and wire, got to be
honest I rue the day I will have to repair it. Polishing it isn't fun either.
I think if I had to do it again I would think up something else.
I can include more pictures if you like, let me know.

It's been asked that I provide some images of the indicator light plate thing that I made.
Sorry I can't get shots of the bottom, but I got some close ups which may help. In reality I think it is over engineered. There has to be a better way than mine.
If you do decide to do this type of mod don't forget to get the LED'S rated for 12V, they come with a built in resistor so no power converter is needed.

indicator_1.jpg indicator_2.jpg

indicator-_3.JPG indicator_4.jpg

indicator_5.jpg

Back