• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Maintenance while head is off?

denward17

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, First post here. Just purchased a 1978 CB750K8. It runs (not good) but has been sitting a few years. After closer inspection I have oil leaks.

1- Appears to be from neutral safety switch.
2- Appears to have a head gasket leak near #1, #2.

Questions: The bike has 22k miles.
Should I replace the head gasket or while I have it off, should I do a valve job, and rings?

What kind of miles can one expect before needing new rings? As far as I can tell, I bought from the original owner and feel confident he took care of it (maintenance wise, oil changes and etc.).

I'm just wondering if I can get by with just a head gasket and move on to other items the bike needs.

Thanks in advance,
Dennis

When the heads off you will be able to inspect more of the internals then make a decision from there. You will be able to see the condition of the cylinders which will give you a good idea if the pistons and rings need replaced. You can check the cam chain tensioner wheels, which go bad with age. The problem is once you start its kind of a rabbit hole on replacing parts and that adds up very fast on the sohc.

Back