• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Magnetic drain plug

gregb6718

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've looked at a few magnetic drain plugs to replace my stock drain plug (1982 Supersport). They all seem to be a good bit longer than stock. Anyone know of any limits to how long the plug can be before it gets hit by something spinning around? I don't have a clear idea of what is happening inside there above the plug. Thanks

Not answering your question directly but I'd recommend getting a well made one..(stay away from ebay cheapies)..you don't want that magnet coming adrift.....
Unsure of the brands you are considering but I go with Goldplug for my bikes- which seems to be low profile for the 14mm. (no issues)

Attachments

• gold.PNG
    gold.PNG
    531.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
If I remember right, the only real clearance issue directly above the drain plug hole is the oil pickup tube, and that's probably 25mm or more above.

What you can do is measure. The next time you change your oil, or if you want to check it between oil changes, drain the pan and then stick something like a wooden dowel or aluminum pin straight up the drain plug hole until it touches something. Mark it at the level of the drain plug threads, pull it out, and then you'll know how much distance you have to work with.

I wouldn't fret over an extra 5-10mm of length on the drain plug, personally.

BAHNST is definitely right about staying away from the cheapies. Usually the cheap Amazon/Ebay specials are aluminum plugs with a magnet glued in, and the glue will break down with heat cycles until the magnet pops out and goes wherever it wants in your engine.

Back