• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Lwr Case - Is this a crack?

Azdevil09

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just inspecting and saw this. Not sure if this is a crack. Nothing is visible from the inside of the case. So not sure what’s going on here if if it is any concern.

Attachments

• 28976B85-5E42-481A-AA50-B8906AD40D12.jpeg
    28976B85-5E42-481A-AA50-B8906AD40D12.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 52
I'd say the same thing. The process by which these engine cases were cast leaves a lot of "cobweb"-like strings of extra metal inside the cases. When I dropped the oil pan on my own 1980 CB750K I saw the same thing.

If you want to be extra sure, look at it under some magnification and poke it with a pick. It should just be a ridge of extra material above the surface.

I would probably agree that it is casing marks. If you want to be absolutely sure then you can use a penetrating dye (like iodine) and see if it bleeds through the casing. Similar to a magna flux to test welds, but much cheaper. You can use most any small molecular liquid (like white gas with a colour added), these have a tendency to bleed through a crack in metal.

Back