• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Lowering bike height for shorter rider

Shefferan

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a 1982 custom and I am trying to lower it about an inch so that I can walk the bike easier. I’m 5’4. I am aware I probably need to go aftermarket but if I can lower it without that would be great. Any help appreciated.

Be careful about messing up the suspension geometry.

What's your stock seat like? Sometimes you can get what you want by having a rebuilder shave off some foam thickness and some from the sides so your effective reach is closer.

Yes I am 5 foot four as well. I have shave seats off many of my bikes. You do is Lose comfort, But your feet need to touch the ground. I drive a 2005 Honda Goldwing as my wife on the back and the weight of the motorcycle, You need all the help you can get.

Hi I have a 1982 custom and I am trying to lower it about an inch so that I can walk the bike easier. I’m 5’4. I am aware I probably need to go aftermarket but if I can lower it without that would be great. Any help appreciated.
I forgot to ask. Is the suspension properly sprung for your weight? If it's currently oversprung, then you have too much height already and will be able to fix it somewhat by changing to the correct springs.

I believe it’s already as low as it can go if you are talking about changing the preload. I am starting to think my only option is to shave the seat which seems difficult without the proper tools.

Be careful about messing up the suspension geometry.

What's your stock seat like? Sometimes you can get what you want by having a rebuilder shave off some foam thickness and some from the sides so your effective reach is closer.
Stock seat is pretty low already. It’s a one that is cut down lower than the passenger riser attached.

Back