• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Low voltage at ignition coils

Forkster

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’m rebuilding an abandoned 1980 CB750 Custom and I got some questions around the voltage at the ignition coils (this is my fourth bike rebuild).

Measuring at the coils itself, I only get 2V and 1.8V. The coils are 12.4kohms (perfect) and the wires are all good. I barely get any spark.

So, tracing back, what should I be looking at?

Any insight would be appreciated 🙏🏼

Hey guys,

I’m rebuilding an abandoned 1980 CB750 Custom and I got some questions around the voltage at the ignition coils (this is my fourth bike rebuild).

Measuring at the coils itself, I only get 2V and 1.8V. The coils are 12.4kohms (perfect) and the wires are all good. I barely get any spark.

So, tracing back, what should I be looking at?

Any insight would be appreciated 🙏🏼
First check avalble voltage at the battery . 12 volts is what it should be . Unplug the ignition coil connector . Locate the 12 volt wire . Connect the voltmeter . It should read 12 V . Do you have test light with a bulb ? You are going to do what is called voltage drop test . Connect the test light to the 12V Feed wire . Wether it glows or not is not important now . The ignition key must be on . Connect one lead of the voltmeter to battery positive . The other lead touch to 12v feed at coils . The meter might read say 10 volts . This is the voltage drop . Move the lead connected to the 12v feed to the next connection till the meter reads 1/2 volt or less .That will help you find the poor connection .

Back