• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Looking at a '78 SOHC tomorrow

_thinkaboutit

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I came across a local 1978 CB750 yesterday and am planning on going to look at it tomorrow. It's got 38k original and he says engine was refurbished at 36k. I've been looking for a while now to find a (mostly) unmolested CB for a decent price and this *looks* like it might be what I've been looking for. I know this 4 carb set up can be a pain and especially the 78's with the accelerator pump. However, I have to admit I don't know a whole lot about the accelerator pumps. Are they really that troublesome? I'm relatively knowledgable on mechanics and currently own an 83 XL600r that I've had to deal with over the last couple years. Basically I want to know if this bike is going to be relatively easy to maintain or am I going to be wrenching on it constantly to keep it running. Obviously, this is dependent on the prior owners but what do you think in general? Here's a few pics he sent me this morning. I noticed it's got the 4-1 exhaust which I don't think was stock? Other than that it looks really clean.

Overall thoughts? Thanks!

EDIT: asking $2500

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG

From the pics it looks like the bike has been well cared for. Have him start it. It should start easily and warm up quickly and then rev smoothly after it's warmed up.

I haven't dealt with those particular carbs, but accelerator pumps in general are very simple straight forward devices. A small diaphragm that squirts some extra fuel in as you open the throttle.

No the pipe is not stock, those had twin 2 into 2 pipes. You can look at all the schematics for it here http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750k-750-four-k-1978-usa_model7244/partslist/

..and get the service manual for it here http://www.cb750.com/threads/2505-69-78-and-79-83-Service-Manuals?p=12718&viewfull=1#post12718

It does look to be reasonably good condition. Only a compression test will show the overall health of the cylinders for sure, but like Dave said, if it starts right up and idles well after warm-up then that is a good sign. A test ride will give a basic indication of potential transmission issues, but that's not always an option. Just listen for any odd noises, but keep in mind the SOHC's can be kind of "rattly", especially if the carbs are out of sync.

I'll actually be riding this one around Orlando this weekend:

SW%2BIso.jpg

These are pretty tolerant of abuse and neglect. I've got another one that I've had since 1986. That one has over 60,000 miles and I rode it to Ohio and back (3000 miles) in the June of 2014.

Back