• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Little electrical fire, looking for help

atari

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Okay, my '77 CB750 is all custom (not built by me) and I've had a little electrical fire:

zKsMB7G.jpg

As you can see the epicenter is that plastic harness, all damage came from there. I'm wondering if this is a problem with a short where the fire started, or if this is simply a symptom of a different problem.

I don't want to fix this just to have it happen again. Let me know!

I might as well give you a pic of my bike as well!

my-bike.jpg

Attachments

• my-bike.jpg
    my-bike.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Normally when a connection gets hot and melts it is caused by high resistance...either the connection is loose or corroded.

Is that the stator to regulator/rectifier plug? Looks like it. Yellow, red and white, white?
Someone correct me, but can't a short in there allow excessive current?
You need high current hitting a high resistance, like dirtdigger said, to create enough heat to cause a fire.
But also if excessive current is arcing across a short it can cause heat and fire. Am I wrong here?
If the regulator isn't regulating the output from the stator, couldn't this be a result?
Just for grins did you check if the main fuse blew?

Last edited:
High current hitting very LOW resistance, the definition of a short. Resistance is the same as load, when it goes up power moving slows down. Yes it can cause fire but usually under longer term, that damage there says a direct quick short to ground. Sloppy work did that by the looks.

Any alternator on the planet can make up to 75-100 volts if unregulated FYI.

Back