• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Kick starter pin stuck

Webble

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been trying to remove the pin holding the kick starter's mechanism for a while now, but without any success. Have tried using pliers and using a heat gun but without any luck.

I have already read that it is better to avoid touching it as it can be complicated to put the spring back, nonetheless I would still need to get it out.

Do any of you have any tips other than using bigger pliers? Could cutting it using a Dremel for example be an option (it seems like when the engine is assembled, the pin doesn't have any use)?

kick starter pin.png
Thanks!

I often pull pins using diagonal cutters; they will bite into the pin and get a grip. Place the pin about midway in the jaws. Then, using a piece of sheet metal or thin screwdriver to protect the case and act as a fulcrum, pry the pin up with the cutters, taking several small bites and levering. I think it adds leverage and tends to pull the pin straight up out the hole. In your case - because of space constraints, you'll be placing the fulcrum to the outside of the pin and pushing down on the cutter grips to pry up on the pin.
Good Luck!

The pin is a spring roll pin. I use a vise grip and pry up with a pry bar. Heat will not help as spring tension is what holds it in. The spring keeps the shaft from coming out, if not held it easily walks out when removing the clutch cover....if it comes out case needs to be split to reassemble.

May I ask your reasoning for having to remove it??

Check the other case half to make sure that pin doesn't extend into the other case half and act as a locater pin for the two halves.

Back