• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Installed LED headlight bulb, wouldn't turn over, had to put halogen bulb back in...

IceRoadBiker

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello, fellow CB750 owners. I'm brand new here and this seemed like a more friendly forum than some of the others so I joined.

The problem I'm having is I installed a Power Bikers M03D Led headlight and for some reason it wouldn't allow the starter to engage when I push the start button. However, as soon as I plug the halogen bulb back in it fires right up. Is there some sort of safety mechanism that kills the starter solenoid if the headlight bulb is out (or in my case, not enough resistance on the low beam circuit [I'm assuming this is the issue])? If so, is there any way to bypass it and trick the system into thinking there is a halogen bulb there without adding resistance which would dim the LED bulb (kind of defeats the purpose of upgrading the headlight)?

Thank you in advance for any advice and I look forward to being a part of this community.

If part is listed as a '12 volt' LED then it already has the resistance built into it. LEDs normally function on like 3 volts and MUST have resistance to not burn out instantly on 12.

There IS an OEM function in the starter button circuit that cuts off the headlight when the starter is engaged to give more power to starter. That bypassed could allow the LED to drain enough power to then not crank. Rule #1, electricity always takes the easiest way out.

You may have to install a separate headlight switch to separate that from the starter circuit. Starter should get 100% of everything the battery has to offer at cranking time.

Hmm... maybe my starter switch is the one to blame, then. I believe my headlight stays on when cranking. I will have to look into that.

I think the headlight I installed is rated at 9-15 volts so I would think that would be in the correct range. Maybe not though.

Thank you for the reply, amc49!

Back