• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

I'm a newbie at 69 years old.

Gorp

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just joined this forum. But then I suppose you knew that by the title.:)

I live in Princeton, MN and have been retired for almost 7 years. It's all it's cracked up to be too. :wink2: I'll be 69 years old July 19th and was married to a wonderful woman for 47 1/2 years. My other ride is an 08 Honda Silverwing scooter which I love to ride. I belong to the Dry Riders motorcycle club and my chapter is in Elk River, MN. I joined because their premise is NO drinking 24 hours before a ride or get together or during. That fits in with me very well. I don't want to ride with any groups who stop at every bar along the route. I learned that lesson YEARS ago when I was still young and foolish. Now I'm old and foolish but that's a different story.

Anyway, I got my old 1974 CB750 back from my son. I gave it to him about 7 years ago when my wife's health was going downhill pretty fast. I didn't feel it was right to go out riding when she could hardly walk, much less get on the back with me. She needed my help to get around. Her and I rode that Honda to FL many years ago when we were both still young and healthy enough to enjoy it and it was a fantastic trip. Now my son's health isn't doing all that good either and he hasn't ridden it for about four years. My wife passed away two years ago this coming August so I asked if he wanted to give it back to me. He agreed seeing as he hasn't ridden it. I drove to his house and we trailered it home last week. After a bit of TLC I got it running again and took it out for it's first ride today.

It ran great with lots of power and didn't miss a beat. I put about 80 miles on it and filled it back up to check the mileage. The speedo is kilometers only as it was made in Japan to stay in Japan. It has a sticker on the back fender with those Japanese Hieroglyphs that nobody can read. A serviceman bought it and shipped it home. I was the third owner and now I'm the fifth owner. I put 107 kilometers on it today and used 1.85 gallons of gas which comes out to about 36 mpg. If I remember right it used to get better than that but then this is the first time it's been running in about 4 years. I did take the carbs off and give them a bit of a cleaning but they didn't look bad when I got them apart. I'm kind of hoping that any left over crud that I might might have missed will clean out with the help of the carb cleaner I put pretty heavily into the gas tank. I'm retired and on a fixed income so I hope it won't costs an arm and leg to get it in tiptop running shape although maybe a professional tuneup is in order. I'll keep riding it this summer and see how it goes. Maybe this fall I'll take it in and have it done up properly.

Any suggestions on what could probably be a remedy will be greatly appreciated. I picked up a couple of oil filters today and after I get done here I'm going to get some oil and change it. It's probably cool enough to do without burning my fingers.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone is willing to offer.

Dale

Back