• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Ignition light short won’t start

Draterhuman

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I have rebuilt the top end.
prior to doing so I was not aware of the short coming from the left side of bike just outside the headlight bucket. i know it needs to be fixed, but my question is:
when I try to start it, while it is glowing green ignition light and red oil light, before it shorts out to black (no lights) would it start or does the short prohibit starting altogether?
i have brand new carbs
tensioner is adjusted
points are set correctly
valves are adjusted correctly
new oil
new Petcock
new air filters
choke works
new plugs
and a fully charged battery
it wants to start but …. Ahhhh ahhh No not really
and then the battery goes from 12.9
to 12.1 pretty damn quick like, it seems too fast FAST
i sure could use a helping hand
and would greatly appreciate it!
thanks.
i don’t think I missed anything. Please let me know if I did.

When I said ignition light I mean neutral light.
Also, new gas lines
and kickstarting it mostly, just after a ten to 15 sec. Press on ignition, which is a Dynatek, and I timed it according to manual. Both 1/4 and 2/3 sparked on adjustment
is there anything else?
oh and fuses are good
but there is some heat To touch when i reposition the short in the wires I have not looked into yet.

1977 cb750f
thanks

Last edited:
Verify fuel in carb bowls? Try a bit of starting fluid to see if it fires? Are you sure igition is at the right time? You can have the wrong coils firing at the wrong time...if coils are wired to wrong trigger you ignition will fire at wrong time....either swap wiring at the coil or if plug wires are long enough swap the 1-4 wires with the 2-3 wires to see if it fires.

Thanks very much dirtdigger! I really appreciate your help.
all is good. It was a carb issue. And now I’m dealing with that. I think I got it though. I hope!

Back