• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

I broke this part on accident. What is it called and can I get a replacement?

EMM

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
3DF5AF1A-ED3A-4098-BDB3-D8074BAE180F.jpeg

While I was removing the carburetors, I was using a flathead to remove the throttle cable, and it just cracked and popped off. Wasn’t even being hard on it.
Can I get a replacement piece? Where do I find it? What is it called?

Attachments

• 65EA0AA9-C913-49E3-838C-88C82566667A.jpeg
    65EA0AA9-C913-49E3-838C-88C82566667A.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 70
You will have to check ebay buy new rack of carbs or hopefully someone is parting out a set. It would probably work the way it is but not ideal.

That is the connection for either the throttle "pull" cable or the choke cable. I suspect it's the latter but I'd need to see for sure which side of the carb rack it's on.
Can you find the piece that broke off? If you can, there's a chance it could be soldered or brazed back into place. Or reattached with JB-Weld if you don't have access to more skookum repair methods.

If you can't find the bit that broke off, you're either going to have to disassemble the carb rack to get that part out for a more professional repair (like going to a machine shop that has a TIG welder and can reconstruct the aluminum and drill/ream a new hole) or find a used replacement part. Like dirtdigger said, a new rack of carbs is likely the easiest way to get hold of that part. Unfortunately.

That is the connection for either the throttle "pull" cable or the choke cable. I suspect it's the latter but I'd need to see for sure which side of the carb rack it's on.
Can you find the piece that broke off? If you can, there's a chance it could be soldered or brazed back into place. Or reattached with JB-Weld if you don't have access to more skookum repair methods.

If you can't find the bit that broke off, you're either going to have to disassemble the carb rack to get that part out for a more professional repair (like going to a machine shop that has a TIG welder and can reconstruct the aluminum and drill/ream a new hole) or find a used replacement part. Like dirtdigger said, a new rack of carbs is likely the easiest way to get hold of that part. Unfortunately.
Damn. Luckily, I found the little piece that snapped off. Getting a whole new rack of carbs just isn’t an option unfortunately as I imagine that’s probably expensive. If it were to have happened to you, which method would YOU go with to try and fix it? JB weld, or soldered?

Personally I'd probably try soldering first. Getting solder to adhere can be pretty tricky with old parts like this though, especially aluminum.

If that didn't work, I'd pull out the JB.

Use the JB weld, it's probably the only thing that is going to save you. Trying to solder/weld that pot metal aluminum would be a nightmare and only compound your troubles. Just fill it in solid with JB Weld (just that area) and then drill a new hole, should work great for you. I keep a big set of tubes around the shop to help out. You don't want to get into taking the rack apart unless you have done it before and you have a rebuild kit to cover off all the little O rings. Just my opinion

Back