• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Hi from Sweden...

JakeGrafton

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all Honda café racers!

I'm new here and thought I'd make a short intro and also post a question. (Turned out not so short. Sorry 'bout that!)

I've been a sports bike driver for most of my life. Started long ago with a Harley Sportster (no sport bike, I know that), but soon got tired of beeing overtaken by all fast rice burners. So got a Kawasaki ZZR 1100. Great for straight (and fast) roads, but lacked agility. Sold it and got myself a Yamaha YZF 750 which was a really sweet ride on which I took my road racing license. It also was the bike on which I first lost my drivers license for a couple of months, due to speeding. And that made me "downgrade" to a 1996 Triumph Speed Triple. A brutal street machine (by 1996 standards) and soooo beautiful in all black. And when Triumph introduced the T595 I was back in the fast lane. A beautiful bike in a yellow paint so smooth and glossy it looked all wet... Then came a few years without riding, but finally the itch got too bad and I got myself a lovely Ducati Sport 1000. Kinda café racing style and a great bike. But once in the Ducati family, a REAL superbike was irresistible and when I found a mint cond' Ducati 996R I pulled the trigger. It's by all means the best sport bike I ever rode.

Then came a few more years on 4 wheels when this spring I fell in love with a Harley Fat Boy that I'm now enjoying to the fullest. Getting this beautiful classic I thought my sport bike days were for ever over. But... I'm now starting to think 'bout maybe - just maybeeee - building myself a nice little café racer. I think that's one of the "truest" forms of bike you can see. And studying the subject a little, the Honda CB 750 seem to be a nice place to start. And here comes - finally, if you made it this far - my question:

If I should build a café racer based on a CB 750, what model would be a good start? What year? SOHC or DOHC? What other things to consider? My aim is not to start racing again, but rather build a sweet café racer for casual use, with nice riding qualities, a responsive engine and good handling (whatever that means... ;) )

Any advice from you would be appreciated... ;)

TIA

PS. And here BTW is my present ride:

Fat_Boy_2011_Print_version_Paint_04.jpg

Last edited:
Tjenare JakeGrafton och välkommen till cb750.com !!

MY opinion on your choice of poison would be the SOHC CB750 from 1969-1978. They tend to be a little bit more pricey than the DOHC here in Sweden, but (IMO) looks that much better. And if you get one with the round top carbs (1969-1976 K models) they are a breeze to tune, even with pods if you choose to go that route.
But if you're looking for a lot of power you'll be looking at boring and getting more CC's and what not.

I guess the real question is, what is your budget for this?

Again welcome aboard and keep those pictures coming (once you get your CB750)!

That's what I call fast response! Thank's Stabler!!!

As for my budget, I was hoping to start pretty lean, and slowly add more funding as the project runs. So I'm well below SEK 30K (= USD 5K) for initial purchase... :/

I'm fast like that. 😃
You'll get more parts and stuff for your budget if you get a later model CB750 (post 1978) but I still vote for a SOHC. They just look better to me.
But wait until the other members here on the board wakes up and you'll prolly get a lot more (and different) opinions.

I'm fast like that. 
You'll get more parts and stuff for your budget if you get a later model CB750 (post 1978) but I still vote for a SOHC. They just look better to me.
But wait until the other members here on the board wakes up and you'll prolly get a lot more (and different) opinions.

;) Good looks are important to me when I choose my bikes. Wouldn't dream of building anything but the sweetest possible. Thank's for good advice.

Och tack för nationell hälsning. Alltid lika kul!

Back