• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Hi from Montreal from me and my newly-starting '81 CB750

The Jimbonaut

The Jimbonaut
Reaction score
Hi from Montreal, new guy here embarking on his first restoration/build project, and excited by the challenge.

Well, after a week (I'm no mechanic it should be said) I got her running =)

honda-pic_zpsn7b2mbqc.jpg

New battery, cleaned the carbs (not gonna eat your breakfast off them but good enough for starters - they'll get a rebuild later), new sparks, new gas...running like, well, not a charm, but running.

Today I ran into what may be the first snafu...following the Honda Inspection chapter in the owners manual I wanted to check the cam chain. The tensioner bolt and lock nut on the front of the engine came off way too easily and once it was out I could see some torn up metal shavings on the threads. I looked inside the hole and sure enough, the thread on the inside of the engine housing is completely stripped. Little pieces of metal in there too. That can't be good.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Helicoil time. Engine comes out to make room for the work. People do that all the time, they just can't grasp how little torque to use there.

Helicoil time indeed. Thanks for the info =)

I had a mechanic friend of mine run a compression test on the cylinders over the weekend - 120, 120, 130, 100 right to left. Could be worse.

I re-ran the compression test, this time with the throttle wide open and got different results -

1- 150
2- 145
3- 150
4- 125

Guess the fourth cylinder is the party pooper

Back