• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Hello from the Great White North!

Pawl

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
Hi . . . Great to see a "cousin" site to the XS sites, Many thanks Travis! . . . and just as I am bringing a long dormant '73 CB750 back to life, that I picked up for $500 last summer too!(18,000 miles on it). here's a pic of it the day I brought it home, and a pic showing last time it was plated (cool plates huh?). I hope to finnaly fire it up this Spring. I spent most of my time on it last summer de-gunkifing some weird goo out of the fuel system & takin' things apart & blowing the cobwebs out, I have not even fired it up since I bought it.
I live in Yellowknife Northwest Territories, Canada, and have been riding and wrenching on motorcycles since the mid-70's. I use to do a lot of sno-mobiling in the winter, but as I get older . . . it's just to friggin' cold out all the time, and now that I have a basement shop, I find I would rather work on bikes all winter . . Maybe one day I'll fire up the old Arctic Cat 600 Powder special (gotta fix the broken drive train first), and take 'er for a rip!
Thanks again Trav . . you are awesome! . . . and I think this site is going to be HUGE!!!

cb750_972.jpg

IMG_1821_972.jpg

Last edited:
Now that plate's awesome!
You wouldn't be interested in swapping that sprocket cover on the engine, for a polished one? Just asking since I've got a polished one and I want the more dull/rough/original look.
Cool scoot though, gonna keep it all original?

Thanks again Trav . . you are awesome! . . . and I think this site is going to be HUGE!!!

Thank you, I hope so too!

I can't believe you paid $500 for that bike! What a steal! Very nice.. And I love the plate! I'm also curious to know what you plan to do with the bike.

I saw the bike on our local swap shop site "yktrader.com" one day last summer, but it just said it was a 1973 Honda motorcycle $500 - no picture, no model info. Then about an hour later I had the page still up, so I refreshed it . . . and boom! . . there was a pic. of it . . . .. my heart skipped a couple beats as I grabbed the phone the whole time as I was dialing I was saying (maybe out loud) "Please don't be sold! .. Please don't be sold!" When the lady answered and said it was'nt sold I calmly said I would buy it and I'll be right over cash in hand.
So I stopped at the bank on the way over and when I got there, and introduced myself. She told me with a curious tone, that she had about 5 calls on it since I first talked to her 20 min. ago. ??. ?
She, her son, and her daughter knew 0% about motorcycles, it was her late husband's bike who died suddenly about a year earlier, and they just wanted to get rid of it, like it was an old lawnmower or something?. When we were drawing up the B.O.S. I recognized her last name, it turned out that I knew her late husband, who owned the warehouse building I use to manage about 10 years earlier.
He was a hell of a nice guy too! When he would come up to the warehouse for a visit and he would see my RZ500 parked out front we would end up talkin' bikes for most of his visit. At Christmas time, he would bring me, like a case of various of liquors, and say " This for keeping the building running smoothly throughout the year" with a big smile on his face . So now I feel kinda honoured to own his "baby" and take care of it for him.
This bike is one of those rare bikes that I don't ever really seek out, with the mindset of keeping in as clean and stock condition as I can. I love nothing more than finding an old abused derelict, and bringing it back to life with lotsa hackin'/slashin' and all round general Frankenstien-ery madness!. I find that to be an enjoyable creative outlet.
I think the Gods of 2 wheeled machinery would frown upon me heavily, if I did anything less than massage this feat of engineered "1st Superbike" back to as pristine condition as I possibly can, and ride it like a gentleman, rather than the true Banzai Warrior that I am when I get on most of my other bikes.. . . .Dammit!
I have picked up some parts that needed replacing from e-bay, only using parts off a '73 (sorry Stabler, but that nice shinny chain case cover looks to be off a newer model . . . and to tell you the truth . . I would rather have your bike!) and am always looking for various '73 parts that may be in better contition.
I got this bike real cheap, it is one of those lucky finds (stored, untouched in a shed for 15 years), that "I" don't see to often. Now I must respect that, and put the money I saved on the purchase toward bringing it up to real smart condition with lots of serviceable spares to see it healthy & clean for many years to come.

Last edited:
Well it sounds like you got lucky on that one! Good story too! I'm glad your keeping it stock. :thumbsup:

Thanks Trav.. . . The last time I got a lucky score on a bike like this, was 1980. It was a '69 BSA Rocket III - the very bike that was knocked off the throne by the CB750. For $450, and I worked in a chrome shop, so of course I re-chromed any bit of chrome that even had minor pitts. the bike was very nice & original when I was done. Then . . . . for whatever reason??? . . I was cuising around town (Victoria B.C.) on a hot summer day and starting & stopping in traffic, then accelerating, once traffic was clear . . . then . . BAM! . .. I lunched the engine. . . . Fuck!... . . . . Luckily I had met a dude a couple months earlier that was bigtime into Arial Square Fours. He had a Rocket III that ran and he loved it, but it looked pretty rough, so he wanted mine to basically get it running and put it under a glass box next to a Square Four he had restored. . . . . . I sold it to him for $450 - the same price I paid for it. I saw it was going to a good home. I felt good about it.
I was young and not really knowledgable enough, or equipped to fix it, (and I was moving back to Yellowknife at the time too) but looking at the price of Rocket III's now . . . It was a solid investment and it is one of those, hindsight regrets.

Keeping that one stock sounds good. Not all CB's are destined (spelling on that one?) for choppin'!

nice stocker and extra nice price my canadian brother .If only the snow would go away so the sled dogs can get some rest and we can take out the bikes ;)

Pawl I check out Yellowknife on Google today. Man you live in the North!!!!! Looks like you live near Great Slave. I had some friends that used to drive up there every year to fish Northerns. I'm sure there are some big Muskies too. Riding season must be pretty short though.

Attachments

• SANY2406.jpg
    SANY2406.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 447
  • SANY2208.jpg
    SANY2208.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 175
  • Turn Indicator Mod.jpg
    Turn Indicator Mod.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 2,600
  • 1974CB750K4.jpg
    1974CB750K4.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20201213_122043345.jpg
    IMG_20201213_122043345.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 124
Pawl, Yeah those rocket 3's go for a good chunk of change now! What can you do....

And I also looked up Yellowknife... Wow! Yeah that's one big lake and you are in the middle of nowhere! The say Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes... Northwest Territories must be the land of a million lakes! :)

Great Slave is #9 on the list of deepest lakes on earth, just ahead of Crater Lake (I've been there, that place is fuggin' cool!)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lakes_by_depth Gotta good veiw of Yellowknife bay on Great Slave Lake, from our living room window. One does'nt have to go far before you fall into another lake either, I drive past 4 different lakes every day on my 8 min. drive to work. The biggest "Muskie" I have ever caught was 45 lbs., they are called "Great Northern Pike" up here (mostly for tourisim reasons, I suspect) or as I call 'em "Landlocked Barracuda". the smaller ones 5-10 lbs. are fantastic eating if caught fresh and hucked on a fire, they get mushy pretty quick if left sittin' around too long. The lake trout get pretty big around here too 40 lbs. is not uncommon.

Last edited:
Back