• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Hanging Idle

GC_Toronto

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Newbie question: I'm trying to troubleshoot a racing engine on my barn find 1980 CB750C with 21K. Carbs completely redone including full tear-down, ultrasonic, fuel rod o-rings and throttle shaft seals replaced, plus new intake boots and plugs. No vacuum leaks. Starts instantly and runs fine from cold but begins to race once warm and throttled above 3K. Just wants to stay up there and has to be 'braked down' to a near-stall to return to idle. I'm thinking it's running too rich because at idle it likes a touch of choke to run smooth. In addition to your suggestions... ...does anyone have the Pilot Screw Adjustment Specs of VB42D carbs? Both the Clymer and Honda Service Manuals list details for VBA @ 1.5 turns and VBC @ 1.75 turns. I appreciate that I could start at 1.5 and work up .25 at a time but I thought I'd ask you CB gurus for your sage input.
IMG_7073.JPG

Mine all set at 1 3/4 turns out. Hope this helps. Regarding running rich or not pull the plugs and see what colour they are. Regarding throttle hanging but then dropping slowly I found that that was a vacuum leak, all the best, Rampton

Back